Thursday, October 30, 2008

Final resting place of Isaac and Rosa Singer

In the things that I brought back from New York, I found a postcard that talked about the unveiling of a monument for the "Beloved Husband" of Rose Singer to take place on May 3, 1936.  Isaac Singer was my paternal grandmother's father.  Both Isaac and Rose came over to the US with the Deresiewicz (Dershewitz) family in 1921 and lived with them in the Bronx.  The card was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. S. Brenner.

I had asked current New York family members if they knew where the Singers were buried and no one seemed to know.  So this card was a real break-through.  The card was damaged but I could read that Isaac was buried in the Montefiore Cemetery in Queens, Block 8, Row 4, Grave ??.  I called the Cemetery (718-528-1700) to see if I could get more complete information.  I spoke to a very helpful staff member who verified that Isaac Singer was buried on May 16, 1934 at Block 8, Row 4, Grave 28.  As an added bit on information, I had her check on Rose Singer and found she was buried March 18, 1945 next to her husband.

Cemeteries are places of remembrance.  It seems tragic that final resting places, like old photos, often get lost over time to their families.  Isaac and Rose Singer's memories have been reclaimed.

Click here for the postcard image

No comments:

Post a Comment